Paul Baker Memorial Scholarship
The Paul Baker Memorial Scholarship was established to honor the memory of Paul Baker who, in May 2021, was tragically killed in an automobile accident. Each year two (2) $500.00 scholarships will be awarded to two promising high school seniors who attend either Lewistown Porter (Youngstown, NY), Starpoint (Lockport, NY), Niagara Wheatfield (Sanborn, NY) or Wilson Central (Wilson, NY) high schools. This award is to be used to assist with costs in attending the college or a Trade School of their choice.
To be considered for the Scholarship, applicants must be a student in good standing in one of the four schools mentioned above. They need to be able to demonstrate a significant commitment of volunteer service, family values, work ethic, as well as commitment to the agricultural community. Awarding of the Paul Baker Memorial Scholarship is contingent on several criteria including acceptance to and enrollment in a two- or four-year college or Trade School, and a complete application. Additionally, applicants are required to submit an essay demonstrating their intended commitment to agriculture in their community and their plans to help maintain/grow the agricultural community in the future.
How to Apply: The NYS Horticultural Society expects all applicants to complete and submit ALL required attachments, except letters of recommendation, at the same time your application is submitted. DO NOT send materials separately. Your complete application, including all attachments, can be submitted electronically via email to email@example.com with the name of the scholarship in the Subject line of your email or mailed to NYSHS, 635 W. North St., PO Box 746, Geneva, NY 14456.
Deadline for filing is March 31, 2022. Letters of recommendation must be sent by mail and postmarked no later than March 31, 2021. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Your application will be reviewed by members of the Scholarship Committee and the fund holder. Selection will be based on a student’s volunteer service, work ethic, family values and commitment to service in the agricultural community and involvement in their communities.
Finalists may be contacted for an interview. Students will be notified by email of any scholarship award or denial on or before May 1, 2022.
- Completed and signed application –emailed or mailed with required attachments by March 31, 2022.
- Official high school transcript showing a GPA of at least 2.5.
- A brief description of planned area of study and career goals
- An essay must accompany your application. It must be typed, double spaced using 12 point Times New Roman font and should be no more two pages long. Essay Question : Please describe how you, as an adult, you will strive to help support the advancement of agriculture in the community and beyond. This can be through field of study, or personal commitment.
- One letter of reference. Letter should be emailed or postmarked directly to: NYSHS, 635 W. North St., PO Box 746, Geneva, NY 14456 or NYSHS@hotmail.com
- Remember! Keep a copy of your application for your records. Questions? Call 315-521-0852 or email NYSHS@hotmail.com
- Email or mail your completed application and all scanned attachments to NYSHS@hotmail.com by March 31, 2022. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For any further information or questions, contact Karen Wilson, Business Manager at NYSHS@hotmail.com
Paul Baker Memorial Scholarship Winners
Want to Donate?
NYSHS is working hard to keep up with H2A reform, speaker programs, as well as the ability to maintain our new scholarship program. For more information on areas you could help NYSHS to spend more effort, click the button below.